Take Precautions This Fourth of July Holiday to Preserve Your Health and Limbs
Independence day approaches and what's America's favorite way to celebrate? Blowing stuff up, Including Barbie dolls, toilets, fish and especially their own fingers.
I was asked to compile a list of ways to keep limbs from separating from your body due to an ill-timed throw or putting out your friend's eye during an ill-conceived Roman candle duel.
Get your note pad out, gather the children around the laptop and prepare for a massive amount of noggin-jarring information that could save your life or the lives of your loved ones.
According to The National Fire Protection Association, and I'm not joking here, the safest way to enjoy your Fourth of July fireworks is to not enjoy your Fourth of July fireworks.
Fireworks during the Fourth of July are as American as apple-pie, but did you know that two out of five fires reported on that day are started by fireworks, more than for any other cause?
The good news is you can enjoy your holiday and the fireworks, with just a few simple safety tips:
- Leave fireworks to the professionals. Do not use consumer fireworks.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals.
- After the firework display, children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over, they may still be active.
Wow. Let's apply that advice to other activities.
- Avoid food poisoning? Don't eat.
- Safely navigate roadways? Do not leave your house.
- How do I lower my chances of lung cancer? Stop breathing.
In summation. Want to stay safe this holiday season? Wrap yourself in bubble wrap, dig a hole and jump in, Otherwise just use common sense people, which includes not associating with those who don't have that ability. Let them blow off their fingers, just keep a safe distance as to avoid shrapnel.
Happy Fourth of July.